Throw a 4th of July Party for Under $100
Last month we planned a budget Memorial Day BBQ, and now we’re turning our attention to the next big party day- 4th of July!
To start this party off, like last time, we’re going to assume you have the basics covered: yard, grill, cooler, chairs, tables, fire pit, etc… Now that we got that out of the way, let’s plan it!
You better believe we’re keeping our Memorial Day decorations up! Since both of these holidays are patriotic-themed, we’re able to recycle our decorations and unused party supplies. Score! Now, we’re heading back to our favorite bargain stores to expand on our patriotic decoration collection for our 4th of July party.
- Red, White & Blue Paper Lanterns – 1 set (6 count) at $8.99 each (from Party City) = $8.99
- American Summer Flag Banner – 1 at $3.99 each (from Party City) = $3.99
Decorating Tip: You know from our Memorial Day shindig that we’re anti-tablecloths (unless your tables NEED to be covered, of course- you know what we mean), but we still want to dress our tables up a bit. Instead of hanging the banner along a wall, we’re going to put it around the tables to give them a bit of festive flare.
Decorations Total: $12.98
Food & Drink
We did a hot dog bar for Memorial Day, so we’re going to switch it up a little bit for the 4th of July. Instead of doing the traditional hot dogs and hamburgers, we’re going to make our very own Beer Can Chicken! By keeping the main course super simple, we can focus on (aka spend more money on) sides and desserts.
Main Course – Beer Can Chicken
- Whole Chicken – 1 5lb chicken at $0.99/lb (from Shoprite) = $4.95
- McCormick Grill Mates BBQ Rub -3 packets at $1 each (from Walmart) = $3
Use any can of beer you have in your fridge!
We love traditional, and super easy, sides like watermelon and corn on the cob. For our party, in addition to those items, we’re going to serve tomato, mozzarella and basil skewers. Minimal ingredients in all of these dishes keeps costs down and preparation simple.
- Corn on the Cob – 13 ears of corn at $0.25 each (from Walmart) = $3.25
- Seedless Watermelon – 1 at $3.88 each (from Shoprite) = $3.88
- Mozzarella Cheese – 1 package (2 lbs.) at $6.99 each (from BJs) = $6.99
- Basil – 1 bunch at $3.29 each (from Shoprite) = $3.29
- Cherry Tomatoes – 2 packages at $3.49 each = $6.98
- Bamboo Skewers – leftover from previous party = $0
Serving Tip: Cut the ears of corn in half so you have enough for everyone. If you have it on-hand, drizzle the tomato skewers with balsamic vinegar or dressing (they’re great plain, too, if you don’t have any)!
You can never go wrong with themed desserts! Bonus if they’re simple to make, since we all know they can be a ton of work. We’re making this easy, super cute and kind of healthy American Flag Fruit Platter.
- Strawberries – 1 package (32 oz.) at $4.34 each (from Walmart) = $4.34
- Blueberries – 2 packages (6 oz each) at $2.28 each (from Walmart) = $4.56
- White Chocolate Covered Pretzels – 1 package (5 oz.) at $1.84 each (from Walmart) = $1.84
Like most everyone else nowadays, we’re pretty into craft beer, so instead of buying a case of a less than brand, we’re having a beer swap at our party! We’ll tell each guest to bring their favorite six pack and everyone will swap with each other. We’re big fans of this because not only do we get to try lots of new beer, but it cuts down on our beer costs significantly and is way better beer than we would have bought if we were supplying the entire party.
- 21st Amendment Hell or High Watermelon – 1 six pack (cans) = $9.99
- Abita Strawberry Harvest Lager – 1 six pack (bottles) = $10.99
We found pricing for both of these on the Moore Beverage Beer Store website. You can probably find them for similar pricing at your local beer store, or make the trip to South Philly to check out Moore! Judging by their website, they have a great selection.
Food & Drink Total: $64.06
Misc Party Supplies
We have some leftover party supplies from our Memorial Day BBQ, but not enough to cover this party completely. We’re going to get supplies to match the ones we have, of course, and further build up our patriotic party arsenal.
- Blue & Red Star Party Plates – 3 packs (12 in each pack) at $1 each (from Dollar Tree) = $3
- Red & White Cutlery – 2 bags (1 bag of each color with 16 forks, 16 spoons and 16 knives in each bag) at $1 each (from Dollar Tree) = $2
- Red & White Napkins – 2 packs of 13″ napkins (1 pack of each color, 20 in a pack) at $1 each = $2
- Blue Paper Party Cups – 4 packs of 9 oz. cups (12 in each pack) at $1 each (from Dollar Tree) = $4
- Beer can holder contraption (for the chicken) – 1 at $7.99 each (from Amazon) = $7.99
- Sparklers – 1 pack (30 count) at $2 each (from Walmart) = $2 (because you can’t celebrate 4th of July without sparklers!… Alright, you totally can, but you shouldn’t.)
Presentation Tip: After you’ve unwrapped everything, mix the plates and napkins so you have the colors alternating. So fancyyyy!
Note: Dollar Tree has minimums when you order online, so we recommend buying in-store.
Misc Party Supply Total: $20.99
Party Total: $98.03
Budget Party General Tips
- Make it a pot luck! The easiest way to cut down on food costs is to have everyone bring their favorite dish.
- Don’t hesitate to take your friends up on their offers to bring something, or come early to help set up, etc. Every little bit helps when you’re throwing a party! And every item you don’t have to buy yourself means more money in your pocket.
- Keep it simple. We know you want to go all out with the decorations, themed food and drinks, but keeping it simple will keep costs down. If you absolutely have to, pick one area to go crazy and simplify everything else.
- For outdoor events, “invest” in some tiki torches (JK, they’re super cheap). They offer great lighting at night and go with most outdoor party themes. They last for a while, so you’ll save money by not having to purchase themed string lights for every party. PS Walmart sells them for only $2.5o each!
- PS- If you’re looking to purchase yard games for your party, head over to this post for cheap(ish) options and ideas.
Check out our Pinterest board for more 4th of July inspiration!
Prices are not guaranteed. Pricing in this post reflects prices found online at the time of the post and does not include tax.